Restoration

(Page 1 of 2)


The frame of the Rebel, i.e. the bones of the bike. This bike still had good bones to work with.

Step 1 - etch primer.

Step 2 - gloss black.

Step 3 - clear.

The VIN tag clearly shows the year of the bike. We are still not sure what caused the bubbles on the frame here. Sine it is covered mostly by the tank that gets mounted via that bolt, we left them rather than start over.

The dull front fender with fine scratches.

Similarily, the rear fender was faded dull and had several scratches.

The stripped front fender. The black spots indicate dings. Time for a little body work.

The stripped rear fender. Most of those black spots are factory spot welds. Nothing a skim of filler can't fix.

To refinish the tank meant stripping it - and losing the original Honda wings. It was a hard decision, but we found a pair of originals on EBay. Still not sure what color we are going back with.

The stripped tank. The white areas are actual small dents that had to be filled.

Step 1 again - back to the etch primer. It really stinks.

Then normal primer was applied prior to body work.

Sandable filler was sprayed next.

Yes, there are more parts here than just the Rebel. We were working on the KZ 750 at the same time.

Look closely and you can see the dark areas where more sanding is needed for a smooth finish. The high build sandable filler comes with a built in guide coat.

The Rebel's fenders and tank are ready for color. This took only a few days overall, not the weeks to months for a full car.

A sealer was sprayed over the filler to give an even color as the base.

Ok, I didn't go back to stock black. I was vying for a pink, but I couldn't find a shade that I thought would look good. I settled for the liquid sapphire that we sprayed on the Miata.

We used four coats of blue to deepen the color.

Then clear to give it a high shine. The KZ fenders were set in the area after the fumes cleared for safe-keeping in the dusty garage.

And then I had to sand that beautiful shiny blue again to get out the minor imperfections before buffing it to a high shine.

The inside of the fenders was coated with a heavy duty black to help withstand rock chips.

The fenders were also sanded down for buffing. I chose not to sand around all the knuckle-busting wire brackets as they are hidden beneath the seats.

The fenders and tank, cut, buffed, ready for installation onto the rebuilt frame.

 

Home
Home
Original Condition
Original Condition
Painting
Teardown
Painting
Restoration