Teardown

(Page 1 of 1)


The original cluster had some serious road rash and was faded, so we found a good replacement. But someone had painted the chrome speedometer backing plate black.

The speedometer itself had a few scuffs and scrapes around the edges and a dent in the side.

Time for a little body work on the dent.

With the paint removed and the chrome shined up, the back plate is looking good.

Even with the work, the original cluster just didn't met expectations due to the faded colors. So we found a replacement. The original cluster is at the top and the replacement is at the bottom.

The back side of the original and replacement clusters.

We managed to find a replacement set of original exhaust pipes.

Cleaned up, polished, and ready for installation. We couldn't put it on until the replacement center stand arrived and was installed.

The bracket for the left passenger footpeg looks out of place.

The right passenger foot peg needs a good cleaning to match the other side. The new shocks look good.

The original engine stater cover had road rash and a hole. The similar points cover on the opposite side of the bike is in much better condition.

This KZ is starting to return to its original appearance, but we still have more cleanup to do.

This is a double overhead cam engine. It needed the valves checked and the valve lash set. The trick was to get the timing chain back into the exact same location on the cams.

Even the oil cap is showing signs of age. But since the majority of the teardown is complete, time for body work and paint.

 

Home
Home
Original Condition
Original Condition
Painting
Teardown
Painting
Restoration